We didn't sleep well at our house. No nap for the kids yesterday and an after dinner trip to the library made for an interesting bedtime experience. Once the littles were asleep, I started the overwhelming process of putting a photobook together on Shutterfly. I really wish I was more organized when it comes to our photos.
My son woke up at 5am this morning. Even when we were on daylight saving time, he never woke at 6am so I am not sure why he is suddenly waking so early. It's a little frustrating, though. And he isn't very easy to convince that sleeping in is actually a good thing. He must be like his father -
Never wanting to waste a second!
So I was tired this morning, but we started our school day as usual and we didn't have much to cover today. We finished up some science and language arts and reviewed our CC memory work. We are currently learning about plants and flowers (and have been for awhile), but this morning we finished reading our
How Flowers Grow book (not an affiliate link) and I just felt this prompting that we should go to
Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha, but honestly, I was feeling tired and not motivated to get ready and leave the house. And so I kept thinking, well maybe just Claire and I could go on Tuesday. But I kept hearing this voice say, "Go."
So we went.
 |
| Laurtizen Gardens |
It's been some time since I was last at the Lauritzen Gardens. I want to say that William was not even a year old. We had just bought a double jogging stroller from some friends who were moving and that is the last time I remember being there. So, I was quite surprised when I saw the Marjorie K. Daugherty Conservatory, which I realize now that we didn't actually check out while we were there.
But today was an absolutely gorgeous day to be out. Just a perfect fall day for a nature walk in beautiful gardens surrounded by fall foliage. Discovering birds and birds' nests and observing bees pollinating flowers.
 |
| I loved seeing the reds, yellows, with flecks of purple and green. |
 |
| And discovering model train railroads. |
 |
| Suspension bridges. |
 |
| And stair cases hidden behind foliage that you might miss if you aren't looking. |
 |
| Colorful buds in the rose garden. |
 |
| Rich, red roses. |
 |
| Birds' Nest. |
 |
| My daughter loved how the trees create an arch over the sidewalk. |
 |
| So pretty. |
 |
He was a runaway train. Very difficult to explain to a 3 year old boy
that we do not run at the botanical gardens. Thankfully, we were only one group of a
handful delighting in the gardens this morning. |
 |
| The sunlight on the path was too gorgeous to really capture in this photo. |
 |
| No fountains flowing this morning. |
 |
| One little Balloon Flower remains. |
 |
| This look liked a blanket of velvet. Absolutely breathtaking. |
 |
We just read about pads this morning and how some roots float in water.
So fascinating to see, in person, what we literally just talked about hours before. |
I really love homeschooling. I love the flexibility and how easy it is to say, "Let's get out of the house and explore. Let's go learn firsthand what it is we are talking about. Let's enjoy nature and delight in God and give thanks for his creation."
So many lovely places to go; that is one we have not done as a family. We should! Hope the sleep gets better, daylight savings was hard on us too.
ReplyDeleteIt is a fantastic place to go! Christmas is a great time to go, as well when they have it all decorated.
DeleteI am thinking we will have to go back and check out the conservatory. It sounds really interesting. I think the kids were pretty worn out from walking and we still had the steam and diesel locomotives to see at Kenefick Park. A reason to go back, though!
It is a fantastic place to go! Christmas is a great time to go, as well when they have it all decorated.
DeleteI am thinking we will have to go back and check out the conservatory. It sounds really interesting. I think the kids were pretty worn out from walking and we still had the steam and diesel locomotives to see at Kenefick Park. A reason to go back, though!
So many lovely places to go; that is one we have not done as a family. We should! Hope the sleep gets better, daylight savings was hard on us too.
ReplyDelete