We bought a membership to the Rose again this year. We absolutely loved the shows we saw last year and my husband and I agreed it was worth purchasing a membership for this year, as well since it appeared they had some interesting shows lined up; but not all the shows are appropriate for a three year old - either too long or I know he won't be interested in the content. When those situations arise, I like to extend an invitation to friends to join us. So this month, we invited our new neighbors to join us Saturday night to see Sherlock Holmes and the First Baker Street Irregular.
Normally, I try to do a little pre-teaching with Claire or activities that will help her to understand what may be going on in the show. For instance, we never had read any Pete the Cat books until right before attending the Pete the Cat: The Musical, which I wrote about here. This time, however, I didn't do much. While we were reading No Children, No Pets there is a mystery going on and so we were able to talk about observations, clues, and using deduction skills. I did also show Claire a few pictures of how Sherlock Holmes appears - usually with pipe and a magnifying glass. I also told her that he is highly observant and can usually tell a lot about a person very quickly and that the story takes place in 1880s England and that was considered the Victorian Era - which she is familiar with from learning the CC Timeline song and some of the reading we have done from Living Long Ago. I also tried to explain accents to her, but honestly, she didn't seem to understand what I meant about how while they are speaking English, they may sound different than we do. Perhaps to her, folks with British accents sound just like we do! But that was about all we did to prepare for the show.
Saturday night came and we went to the show with our friends. Claire was so excited that they were riding in the car with us. We arrived early and were able to find some great seats towards the front of the theater.
The recommended age for Sherlock Holmes and the First Baker Street Irregular is 8 and up and I definitely think there were some concepts that she wasn't quite old enough to understand. Such as the use of disguises, which I guess I should have talked with her more about beforehand. Also, several of the actors have different roles throughout the play so I think it could be confusing at times to a smaller child. She also didn't quite understand why Wiggins, one the main characters, and also a homeless child, would want to dress up like a boy and not ever want to wear dresses! Very cute! She was very excited to see Sherlock Holmes had a violin; but very disappointed she never saw him smoking a pipe.
Overall, I think she and her friend both enjoyed it. I certainly did - of course, Sherlock Holmes has always been one of my favorite characters! I especially liked how they used a projector to explain the observations that Sherlock had made to conclude what was going on and solve the case.
Afterwards, the kids went up to receive autographs from some of the cast and Claire was asked by Ms. Hudson if she was part of the "The Red-Headed League." Of course, I failed to mention before that the entire play ties in two of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, "The Red-Headed League" and "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," thus the inquiry if Claire was part of the Red-Headed League!
Great fun it was! We are so thankful that Omaha has such wonderful opportunities for children to learn about and enjoy the arts.
Do you have a children's theater near you? What kinds of arts do your children enjoy?
Saturday night came and we went to the show with our friends. Claire was so excited that they were riding in the car with us. We arrived early and were able to find some great seats towards the front of the theater.
The recommended age for Sherlock Holmes and the First Baker Street Irregular is 8 and up and I definitely think there were some concepts that she wasn't quite old enough to understand. Such as the use of disguises, which I guess I should have talked with her more about beforehand. Also, several of the actors have different roles throughout the play so I think it could be confusing at times to a smaller child. She also didn't quite understand why Wiggins, one the main characters, and also a homeless child, would want to dress up like a boy and not ever want to wear dresses! Very cute! She was very excited to see Sherlock Holmes had a violin; but very disappointed she never saw him smoking a pipe.
Overall, I think she and her friend both enjoyed it. I certainly did - of course, Sherlock Holmes has always been one of my favorite characters! I especially liked how they used a projector to explain the observations that Sherlock had made to conclude what was going on and solve the case.
Afterwards, the kids went up to receive autographs from some of the cast and Claire was asked by Ms. Hudson if she was part of the "The Red-Headed League." Of course, I failed to mention before that the entire play ties in two of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, "The Red-Headed League" and "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," thus the inquiry if Claire was part of the Red-Headed League!
Great fun it was! We are so thankful that Omaha has such wonderful opportunities for children to learn about and enjoy the arts.
Do you have a children's theater near you? What kinds of arts do your children enjoy?

No comments:
Post a Comment