When my daughter was in preschool, we learned of a darling little pumpkin patch that is about 45 minutes away from our home. We first visited this pumpkin patch two years ago as a family and I immediately fell in love with it. It is charming and completely wonderful for families with small children. Really what we I loved about it is that it has a beautiful barn with vintage chairs hanging on the walls, pumpkins of all shapes and sizes (and colors), and varieties of squash I didn't even know existed! But truly the thing we love about it the most is that it is like the best kept secret of pumpkin patches. Every time we have ever been, there have been very few people there so it truly is just a fun place for the children to run around.
And play.
And be free.
And for parents to relax and enjoy themselves without the stress of losing a toddler in a huge crowd.
Even the drive down is peaceful. You're surrounded by country and well, it is just simply beautiful.
Even the drive down is peaceful. You're surrounded by country and well, it is just simply beautiful.
It has become our tradition to go to this pumpkin patch each year although my husband hasn't been able to join us the last couple of times we have been since our first experience at this magical little pumpkin patch. I've been wanting to go for a few weeks now, but life continues to be full. A friend, however, invited several of us to join her family as they were going to check it out for the first time. I admit I hesitated at first to say yes because in my heart I really wanted my husband to be able to go; but the reality is there is a lot going on! Another friend really encouraged me to go anyway and I am so glad we did. I think my kids are, too.
This morning, before we left, I asked my daughter to draw a picture of what she thought she might do at the pumpkin patch. Her drawing showed her with a wheelbarrow going through a maze. Sadly, I noticed they did not have that fun attraction there this year. She didn't seem to miss it at all during our visit, but I did notice some other changes with the activities they offer for kids to do, too.
There was no shortage of fun, though. The kids had a wonderful time touring the combine on display as well as the tractor. Climbing the hay bales and going down the black tube slide. Looking at chickens and feeding goats. And of course, the hay-rack ride! The corn box was a hit at the end. I wasn't sure I would be able to get my two children out of there. Ever.
This year there were no pumpkins for us to pick in the patch. They had all the pumpkins lined up near and inside the beautiful barn dotted with colorful mums here and there. Oh, how I love the mums.
After three hours of great fun with friends, it was time to pick some pumpkins (and mums) and head home. The kids each picked two big pumpkins for carving as we get closer to Halloween and I picked out some mums and an apple squash to decorate the front the porch with. We were in desperate need of some autumn curb appeal.
Do you have a favorite pumpkin patch? What types of activities does your family enjoy in the fall season?
No comments:
Post a Comment